Sunday, December 20, 2009

I cannot believe I am going home to Portland tomorrow. Exciting, but strange. In the three short months since I booked my ticket, my whole world has changed. When I booked it, I thought of my flight from New York to Portland as a flight home. Now, I wonder.

Brooklyn gave us a stunning send off this weekend, in case you didn't hear. Rumors of snow swirled around all last week, but the Portland Girl in me was very skeptical...

Of course, the very same Portland Girl also woke up early Saturday morning, the day the snow was supposed to come, and raced to the window to check for snow. Nothing yet, but I opened the blind and cuddled up in bed to watch and wait.

Back in Portland, this would be a failed effort, sure to curse any .002% chance of snow. However, here in the BK, my faith was rewarded by 1pm with flurry after glorious flurry of the most delicate powder I've ever seen.

Just so happens, we had a little Christmas Party planned for Saturday night, so needless to say my excitement turned to absolute unbridled joy. I popped some more of that crazy-tasty gingerbread dough into the fridge and we rushed out into the day. The dusting that greeted us was barely a taste of what was to come...

Christmas shopping anyone?? How about these fabulous 1950's mugs?

David is unconvinced.

Rest assured, presents were indeed purchased, but I must remain mum as to the details, for what should be obvious reasons. As we meandered our way home to get our little home bedecked and bedazzled for our guests, I met the second love of my life.

Gingerbread in the oven, cocktails mixed, my very own Ultimate Christmas List playing on the stereo (and Ultimate doesn't even BEGIN to describe its awesomeness) and White Christmas playing silently on the tv for visual we were beyond ready! Before we knew it, the greatest little Christmas party was underway! Cheers!

After a few hours of eggnog, we went out to check on the accumulation and generally spread cheer outside good old 575, and in doing so discovered a whole new use for oven mits! Oven mits; the new Glittens!

Token snow angel! First of many, as it happened.


After a brief warm up-respite in the apartment, we braved the block up to Prospect Park. With 12 inches on the ground, the six (five of us Portlanders) of us were already pretty blissed out. As we entered Prospect Park, bliss balloned into complete awe.

3am. We have the entire park to ourselves. Hill after rolling hill lay in front of us blanketed in the most pristine white powder. Peace and joy flood my body. I wander away from the others, humbled by the beauty of this world.

But then I missed everyone. And there they were!

Back home, we went our various ways and/or crashed at the apt to sleep that magically deep sleep of people who spent the day playing in the snow.
Fig. 1: Jay

The snow-covered city beckoned once again this morning, and we were off once again!

How do you resist that? Brief stop in DUMBO at David's (YAY!) place of employment for a little peppermint mocha perk-up! The view isn't bad either.

Off to the Christmas capitol of NYC!

Rockefeller was a madhouse, shockingly, so my attempts at cute couple-y pictures felt sort of futile. Next years' Christmas card? Hmmmmmmmmm...


Well, I am going to miss the city this Christmas, it has been very good to me this year. Goodbye New York! Have a Merry Christmas, you have made my season oh so bright.

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

NYC/SNOW/CHRISTMAS = heaven, I can only imagine!!!